Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fauxidermy

Share
I grew up in the midwest where it is not unheard of to have a dear head or some other mounted animal head as the focal point in the living room. Incidentally, you may also find them sitting next to you on the couch, although this is much less common.



I have to admit that I also know all of the words to 'Turdy (yes, that is really how you spell it) point buck' from Bananas at Large. It is not that I like this kind of music, it is just that I did not have a choice. My dad is an avid hunter and played this song repeatedly in the car during hunting season. I have never been into hunting despite my father's attempts and I certainly have never been a fan of dead animals on the wall! Have you ever seen one of these things? I swear their glass eyes follow me wherever I go. Heebee. Jeebees.

Enter: fauxidermy. A term that as far as I know was coined by Z Gallerie (love them!). A much lighter, less-destructive form of animal art. Fauxidermy can be found in many different forms including resin, cardboard and recycled cement bags? Z gallerie offers the resin versions and wow, inventive is all I have to say about recycled cement bags. Check out the recycled cement bag giraffe version at Anthropologie which would be cute in a little kid's room. Anthropolgie also offers a zebra, rhino and gazelle. Who needs an African safari? 



I recently renovated our guest bedroom and found a cardboard deer version at Cardboard Safari. There are different sizes of moose, deer, bison, rhino and elephants available. Aside from the more obvious animal-friendly benefits, my cardboard version did not break the bank at $28 for a medium version. Go ahead, I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment